Sunday, June 13, 2010

Djangofest redux

I spent much of this weekend in Mill Valley at Djangofest SF, the annual festival celebrating the music and spirit of the great French/Belgian Gypsy guitarist Django Reinhardt (who would have been 100 this past January). I first learned about the festival from Charlie Baty (of Nightcats fame), who told me about it during an interview on the show a few years ago. I ran in to Charlie just after the afternoon show on Saturday, where Doug Martin and the Avatar Ensemble (who played live on the show this past week) had opened. Doug also played rhythm the night before with the John Jorgenson Quintet -- a terrific show, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the opening act, a trio from Amsterdam by the name of La Gaîté. Not especially Gypsy-jazzy, but some highly original takes on the American and European songbook, not to mention incredibly endearing. The festival organizer told me that he might try to have them back in the fall, and perhaps bring them to our fair radio show. In the meantime, I'll let them win you over:

No comments: